Wednesday, May 30, 2012

things my dog teaches me


i stumbled upon the writing posted below while poking around one of my favorite blogs, "Positively Positive".  it expresses beautifully what those of us who are dog owners know all too well... the infinite wisdom which can be obtained by owning, loving and bonding with a dog.  like children, they can teach us so much about how to truly live, if we pay attention.



.....................................................................................................................

what dogs teach us:
when loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.
take naps.
stretch before rising.
run, romp, and play daily.
thrive on attention and let people touch you.
avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
on warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
on hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
when you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
be loyal.
never pretend to be something you’re not.
if what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
when someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently.

enjoy every moment of every day!
.....................................................................................................................

today i spent the entire day with my dog.  she was by my side every second - up and down the stairs, inside and outside, at the computer, the dinner table and the phone.  i was engrossed in writing a report, but looked up many times just to see where she was.  she checked in with me too, occasionally putting a paw on my leg to remind me she was there. as busy as I was and under deadline, i stopped often to talk to her, rub her belly, or just look at her (i'm hopelessly in love!)...  each time, it de-stressed me instantly, and helped me focus.  when the sun peeked out from behind the clouds, i grabbed her leash and we went for a leisurely walk...

today i spent the entire day with my dog.  over the course of the day, she reminded me of just about every one of the items on that list, and more.  we worked together, walked together, ate together.... it was a day of pure and joyous friendship.

1 comment:

  1. here's another beautiful post i just found:

    I taught him sit... down... stay
    He taught me patience... acceptance... uncomplicated love

    short and sweet, and so very true

    ReplyDelete